Saturday, February 04, 2006

Rip Them Up. Tear Them Up. Go Big Blue.

Gee. Weblogs are not my forte anymore.

I've realized things are just ridiculous. Drama is played about everywhere. I am shaking my head to everything around me, wondering why people act the way they do. It baffles me, that's for sure.

Oh, well...I am in highschool. That could explain it.

So, today was the grand East vs Central basketball extravaganza. Terrible amounts of planning and effort are put into this rival sporting event. As part of the East High choir, as well as a select member in Singers, I had to lend my hand in this fiasco. My voice is sore from singing the National Anthem countless times within the last couple days, as well as shouting (while carrying a tune) to the absurd African song during the half-time show. True, it wasn't wise on my part to scream at the game, wondering out loud why our players were incompetent. But, will I ever remember this? Is it really worth my time to jeopardize my well-being to sing and shout at these particular basketball games?

Short answer, yes. Although I find it incredibly bizarre that we care so much about placing a ball into a netted hoop, it still means alot. Today - as I was standing amongst students who make me wonder if they have looked themselves in the mirror and thought they looked even halfway decent - I got to show my dedication and appreciation for my school. No, I don't believe highschool is great or even good for that matter. But, considering how highschools are...East really isn't an awful place. I've had a fairly pleasent three and a half years there, so why shouldn't I tear my lungs out in support for our school's sporting teams? I don't give a damn about basketball in real life, but in highschool life - basketball is alright. Plus, it's not only basketball we support during this spectacle. We support the dance, cheer, and step teams, the ROTC Blackwatch and Air Force One, the pep band and drumline, and not to mention the choir. We all crowd in this over-heated gym, inhaling each other's bad odors and sweat, to form a sense of community and alliance. While we chant ridiculous cheers such as, "East High, East High, don't be shy. Let us hear your battle cry. V-I-C-T-O-R-Y, VICTORY is our battle cry!" and shout at the athletes on the court, we interact with each other that makes standing in that gym worthwhile. It's a highschool experience.

What am I saying? Honestly, I don't know. If I had to guess, I would say that all in all...no matter how ridiculous life may seem, you can always find some good in it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home